A South Texan explores existentialism, modernity and the sweep of history.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

About This Blog

South Texas is a place where memories linger. Perhaps the flat land, where one can see for miles around, and in any direction, keeps memories tied to the earth; for there are no mountains to guide them upward into infinity.
Growing up in South Texas, I had always wanted to live somewhere else. Perhaps Jerusalem, Virginia, Rome, France, England; any place where great world changing events had occured; where the history I read in school happened. I wanted to be a part, if not of that time, then that place; where I could stand on the ground where "they" stood. I fully realize, now, that South Texas has a history as well. It is as tumultuous and tragic, profound and inspiring, mysterious, and full of people whose names and stories-lives lived!- survived the sweep of history. Their story, however, is little known and little told; quite unlike all that amazing history that happened someplace far from here.
I now see it as part of my destiny to tell these stories. The history of this region, my region, our region..."this ground." In doing so, I hope to secure a small piece of immortality for those who came before me, so that, those that come after me shall know, or at least have the ability to know, their story. Noone escapes the sweep of history but their stories must do so!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read some stories about when land owners were forced to sign their land over to the King Ranch, or else gun fire would ring in the ears of the wife forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks for following Timo. One issue I want to discuss on this blog is that very thing. Land distribution and "adjustments" are central to this region (I guess any region).

    ReplyDelete