A South Texan explores existentialism, modernity and the sweep of history.

Friday, March 11, 2011

R.I.P Nana

YouTube - Yanni - Felitsa (HQ Video)

In a world of absurdity, there are times only my pen makes sense. Today--March 11, 2011--Kingsville, Texas lost its sweetest voice. Esperanza "Hopie" Alaniz passed into the next world this morning. She was technically my cousin, but as life and age would have it, I considered her a dear and beloved aunt. She was a faithful member of Our Lady of Good Council Catholic Church here in Kingsville and part of the Coro Del Buen Consejo, the gospel choir formed by the Alaniz family. Her voice captured the sweetness of angels and the pain of humanity humbled before the throne of God. No Mass could ever be complete without their music and her voice...her voice. Their harmony edified and uplifted and made vividly present the Word the Priest could only try to tell us about.

Many, many memories burn all the brighter now that her presence has been taken from us. So many summers that she would drop off Jay, doughnut holes in hand, at my house while she went off to work in Corpus. Or the many times I awoke to Fraggle Rock on the TV on my sleep-overs there. And her breakfasts, My Lord, her breakfasts. Fit not for Kings, for they are not worthy, but the laborers and servants that made a King's life so beautiful and so attractive.

She was a grand story teller. She captured characters like no one else I've ever known. He voice would fold and undulate, creek and crawl into the varied personages and the story would come alive! Especially her ghost stories! Stories that many times had Jay and I (or whomever happened to be sleeping over) trembling on the blanket set for us on the floor.

She will be dearly missed by all who loved her and were touched by her presence and vitality. Today, the clouds have gathered and made a bright day dark. And the people, her family and friends, fight for the sun to return.

R.I.P Nana--Say hello to my mom, Tia Rachel, Tio Juan and those others who have preceded us in death. Say hello for us who still ache for them.

3 comments:

  1. beautifully written and so heartful and sincere. my condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vero and Lu. She was loved dearly and will be missed dearly.

    ReplyDelete